Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Will you be friends with me?

I was taking a stroll in my wintry, frozen, uninteresting life,
When she popped up like a ray of sunshine without much strife.

With a warm smile on her lips,
She stuck out a hand and quipped,

"Will you be friends with me?"

She had eluded me for so long,
How could this possibly be?

I was apprehensive,
What exactly was her incentive?

But as the conversations unfolded,
I realized I could shake her trusting hand and hold it.

Of course we fought.

And when she would irritatingly say "grow up",
For a brief while I thought maybe I should.

On the other hand when she'd say "you can do it",
I found strength for amazing things I could.

There were dark times too.

When broken hearts we had to nurse,
Realizing what seemed like a blessing was now worse than a curse.

But we pulled through thanks to the laughs,
It's always fun to poke fun at ex-better halves.

There were idyllic dreams to share.

A longing to break free from our caged existence,
Making a thousand false promises to practice resistance.

Very often in life people come and play their part,
And before you know it, it's time to grow apart.

I'm not very fond of the future, that subject isn't my favourite,
For now lets treasure the camaraderie, celebrate and savour it.

No matter what lies ahead,
How cruel life turns out to be,
At least I have that moment to relive,
When she stuck out her hand and quipped,

"Will you be friends with me?"

- Abbas